If you suspect you may have COVID-19, or test positive, you may feel a range of emotions. But, it is important to act fast. Keeping this COVID-19 KIT in mind can help you feel more confident in what actions to take.
Know the risk factors
Certain population groups and those with certain medical conditions are at increased risk of severe COVID-19 illness.5
Identify the symptoms and test early
It’s important to know the symptoms of COVID-19 so you can test as early as possible.
If you experience any COVID-19 symptoms, it is recommended that you take a PCR test, as they are generally better at detecting COVID-19 than RATs.2
Early testing is important for those at risk of severe COVID-19, as it may help access to available COVID-19 medicines.
If you test positive and have symptoms, it is recommended you stay at home until your symptoms resolve. Check your state or territory department website for advice on what your obligations are if you test positive.6
Talk to your doctor
If you have symptoms and test positive for COVID-19, talk to your doctor as soon as possible. Medicare telehealth (phone) services are available.
If you can’t get an appointment with your own doctor, you can call HealthDirect’s free helpline on
1800 022 222 or click to book online below.
Test at the first sign of COVID-19 symptoms. If you test positive and are at high risk of
severe COVID-19, talk to your doctor for advice without delay.
Tell your family and friends about planning for COVID-19.
By clicking any of the links listed below, you will be leaving the MSD website. The link you have selected will take you to a third-party website. We do not review or control the content of any third-party site. We do not endorse and are not responsible for the accuracy, content, practices, or standards of any third-party sources.
- Updated eligibility for oral COVID-19 treatments. Australian Government Department of Health and Aged Care. Accessed 15 August 2023.
- How testing works for COVID-19. Therapeutic Goods Administration. Accessed 16 March 2023. https://www.tga.gov.au/products/covid-19/covid-19-tests/how-testing-works-covid-19
- COVID-19 disease and symptoms. Australian Government Department of Health and Aged Care. Accessed 24 February 2023. https://www.health.gov.au/health-alerts/covid-19/symptoms
- Risk factors for more serious illness. Australian Government Department of Health and Aged Care. Accessed 24 February 2023.
- What COVID-19 test should I do? NSW Government. Accessed 15 March 2023.
- Testing for COVID-19. Australian Government Department of Health and Aged Care. Accessed 24 February 2023. https://www.health.gov.au/health-alerts/covid-19/testing
- Medicines for treating COVID-19. Health Direct. Accessed 15 March 2023.
- Protect yourself and others from COVID-19. Australian Government Department of Health and Aged Care. Accessed 24 February 2023.
- If you have COVID-19. Australian Government Department of Health and Aged Care. Accessed 15 March 2023. https://www.health.gov.au/health-alerts/covid-19/testing-positive#testing-positive-for-covid19